Sunday, December 23, 2007

22 December National Teachers´ Day

Workers at School on Saturday

Saturday morning the town of Bayamo came alive. I stumbled across a political meeting where they seemed to be discussing education. Passionate speeches were being delivered all punctuated with chants of ¨Vive la revolucion! Viva Castro! They were happy for me to join in.

Turns out it was a meeting of all of the teachers of the town who were receiving gifts from the Commander in Chief and praise for doing the most important job¨, providing people with ¨the only way that a human being can improve themselves¨ etc. After the meeting the music went on, the wine and rum was poured and the dancing started. I made a bee line for the pretty female English teachers and introduced myself, told them that I too was a teacher of English and that it was my birthday! We compared everything, testing, class sizes, attitudes, curriculum and pedagogy. They had no comprehension of the fact that in a very expensive private school in Melbourne, Australia, I have to threaten Year 12 students and phone the parents in order to get them to read a book!


I too was amazed at their stories. On Saturday the schools are full to overflowing. This is because Saturday is the day when workers can go to school for free to learn what ever they want. Language classes are popular, as are literature and history. The library is packed on Saturday moring, only rivalled in popularity by the chocolate ice cream shop. In the library all the books are old, but the place is jumping. The piano teacher sits up the back helping little children pick out notes and young handsome men with sweet children sit and read. The study of the trades is not considered real education, this is just training for a tasks, education is for the mind and heart. And they put their hand on their heart when they say it.


Charles joined me for a few minutes and caused a ripple of excitement among the young women. They giggled and affirmed that somethings are the same all over the world.

They asked me to go out with them that night, but alas we had to catch the bus to the next town. So it was the very best birthday.

2 comments:

Tanya Montgomery said...

Many happy returns dear Greta!
Much love, Monty

Ethel said...

Dear Greta
Happy Birthday - sorry I'm late with the wishes,
good to hear the fashion news; I knew I should have joined you, I'd feel right at home. Meanwhile back here I've had another bout of cellulitis and am now in what's called Hopital in the Home. A nurse and doctor come and visit me every day and I'm on intravenous antibiotics (I should have come with you). We still managed Xmas for 11 and ate enough to get me into the basics range for Cuban high fashion - I'll have to get the tight lycra pants when I get out of Hospital in the Home.
Looking forward to read more travel news.
Love
Ethel