Sunday, December 16, 2007

Fish in and out of water


After false starts with airline times, then an error with the hotel booking; things ended up well. We got upgraded to a seriously decadant place and are enjoying it, even though we are a little like fish out of water, talking of which...

Just so you get the picture, yesterday was spent floating facedown in the water amazed at the festival of underwater world, freaked out by an octopus tentacle reaching up at me from the kelp forest, surprised by the fish etc. It is as if a real try-hard teacher-pleasing 8 year old girl had opened up her Derwants and attempted the most colourful drawing ever of fish just so her parents say "my what great colours" and stick it on the fridge.

If I didn't have to breathe through the snorkel, my mouth would have been agape. Then it was what Josh described as "the best experience I have ever had with pineapple", sea-kyaking and dinner in a taxi-driver reccommended Indian place. I have never been such a tourist, and while we are all glad that we are only doing it for a few days, we are thoroughly enjoying it.

1 comment:

Debbie DL said...

Hi Greta
I love the idea of you floating around with your mouth wedged open by the snorkel. Make sure you buy a sari while you are in Fiji. You can so wonderful things with all that material when you get home.
love Debbie