Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The error of my ways

It is our last day and we are ready to come home.

I have gone back through the blog and tried to fix up the typos, spelling mistakes and punctuation errors. I know some of you have been horrified to find errors. Well, my policy is "Publish and Be Damned" it is only a blog. Of course, I would like to get it right, but some days I only have limited time and access. I decided a while ago not to let it stop me. I thought about writing a draft, checking it, then publishing later, but that would create a delay. I like to get it down and out while it is still fresh. Lots of people have said they feel they are on the trip with me. I love that, even if it is only a little bit true. If I stopped and refined too much, I would simply write less.

When I get paranoid about it, I remind myself of the maxims of communication: "audience and purpose". My audience is my family and friends, my purpose is to create a record, to share it all with you, to entertain, to try to capture a few salient observations, to give a slice of life.

In Khmer: I put my hands together in prayer in front of my face, then lower my hands to my chin, bowing my head as the hands descend. This is the Cambodian greeting for hello, good bye, thank you, sorry, regards and more.

In English (Australian idiom): Build a bridge.

No comments: