Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Khmer Lexicon

I will teach you some Khmer language and culture. The literal translations are below.
Breakfast = Eat Rice Morning
Lunch = Eat Rice Sun Above
Dinner = Eat Rice Sunset
Kitchen = Rice Cook House

You get the idea. It is all about the rice. The poverty is in the language.
Our friend Barbara has decided to go with this idea and add to the lexis. She has not lucked out in the hotel department as Gen and I have. Her mattress is hard, her pillow is flat and her towel is threadbare. Here is Barb's contribution to the Khmer/English dictionary.
Towel = Strain Rice Device

We are staying at Le Meridian and have been forced to take a suite, even though we booked a twin. I guess I will just have to put up with it. Gen's husband gave us his hotel loyalty points and we have been upgraded. How I will thank him, I do not know. Perhaps I will arrange for some apsaras to come and dance for him, one showing her teeth. I feel as though I have been upgraded to another planet. We had our first night away from all street noise, and are both much restored. Later there will be photographs to prove that for a few days at least, I lived the life.

1 comment:

Dementos said...

Hi Greta,
I am going to call you today as I have a question for you. I thought that I would try your mobile number but am not sure if this is the best way to get you. Anyway I will text you some time in the morning.
Michele