Sunday, January 7, 2007

The Brooklyn Bridge


The reason there are so few photos of me on the blog is because Charles refuses to play the part of the tourist and take them. Above is me on the Brooklyn Bridge, and below I am with Naoli out for dinner on Charles' birthday.

The walk across Brooklyn Bridge is fun, maybe not in a real New York winter, but today it was sunny. I look like a real tourist and Charles is trying to look bored. Caren took the photo and showed us around Brooklyn Heights. Because the apartments are bigger, the dogs are also bigger; huge bear animals walk along. Small dogs are allowed everywhere, and if a shopkeeper does not allow, even welcome them the shop will give over the edge to a competitor. Dog friendly banks supply treats and water bowls. It is easy to tell a dog friendly bank because it has a sign "B.O.Y.D.". I wondered if I would be allowed in the bank if I did not have a dog. I have seen fighting, drunk, poorly-educated, starving, begging, freezing humans; but only well behaved, well cared for dogs. I have not even heard one dog bark or growl in the whole time we have been here. Then again, perhaps they are just so grateful to be let out of the crate, that they have become absolutely compliant. Dogs are so revered, that I was tempted to suggest to one of the beggers on the subway that he should give up asking for money to feed his family, and start asking for money to feed his dog.

2 comments:

georgie said...

Hi Greta & Charles,
There has been quite a bit of media coverage of the Manhattan subway hero. Initially I thought what a small amount of money for Donald Trump to give the guy. Then I thought Trump didn't have to give him any at all & the subway could have thanked him & given him nothing. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that maybe it's a good thing to help others without expectation of a reward. It was a bonus that he was given something. That guy will receive non-monetary riches. He is a hero to the guy on the tracks, his two little girls & millions of people around the world. That is a reward in itself.

Regards Rose

Jill & Grant said...

Caruso!
Sounds like such good times in NYC. I finally found the address and have spent a 36 degree afternoon reading of your *insert superlative here* adventures.

So here is Merry Christmas & Happy New Year - what a great way to start 07 - if you can manage the NY Subway surely ANY English faculty in the world will bow to you!

Enjoy Mexico
GEX