Tuesday, January 9, 2007

We are not in Kansas any more

We may not be in Kansas, but we did go to Dallas. Our flight got cancelled and we were rescheduled but got to Mexico anyway.
All of the instructions for my blog are now in Spanish and the @ can only be accessed by pressing alt then 6 then 4 on the number side keyboard. (I have not written this because it is interesting, but because next time I next time I log in I am sure I will forget. )

On the way here we were selected for special security clearance. The secuity people had advanced skills in rudeness and mumbling, so we ended up getting yelled at. We were trying to do as we were told, but it was all a bit too dramatic for me. We had to remove various items of clothing, were frisked and swabbed. I feel so much safer now! When we arrived in Mexico we were asked to "Push the button red". This was a big button in front of us on a post. We had no idea as to the purpose, but it turned out it was a machine that randomly selects people for extra security clearance. This time we did not win the prize.

We have walked around a bit, been out for dinner and settled into our room. It is very basic but cheap enough and the hostel environment is friendly without being full of stupid drunk English tourists.
A few notes
  • the colours are great
  • the historical centre where we are staying is jaw dropping
  • the beer is cheap
  • news, demonstrations, posters and protests about Oaxaca are everywhere
(For those who do not know the teachers of Oaxaca went on strike earlier this year, this sparked a general strike and occupation of the city. In the end 20 people were killed, dozens injured and many jailed)

I will try to get some photos tomorrow. Right not I am on the roof garden of the hostel. It is beautiful, I have tequila, some salt and lime, and I am into it. Only problem is I can not shake the image of the bedraggled, disabled begger actually crawling on all fours up the flithy street and then there is, the sign on the bar urging patrons to tip because the minimum wage is 50 pesos.

Tomorrow I will provide some photos.

No comments: