Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Diego every where


I will try really hard not to over use superlatives, especially the emply ones like Wow, and Awesome, but it requires a huge effort.
I can't plug my camera in so I will leave the photos for later.

Today was a walking tour, one Swiss woman, then Aussies, Aussies, Aussies. The people we are hanging with are realy interesting. Young footloose travellers, been everywhere, still travelling types. They are savvy and clever and interesting. The hostel is great so far are we are happy to hang out on the bar in the evening. Mexico has really good tequila, and it is really cheap.

We saw so many Diego murals today that my head is spinning. They are huge, much bigger than I imagined and he was much more prolific than I realised. There are ancient ruins right around the corner, but try as I might, I still keep getting my Mayans, mixed up with my Aztecs. We trekked out on the subway to the Anthopology Museum. The Mayan sculpture is vital, lively and towering. I know some folks have been impressed with my managing the NY subway, but Mexico is a different thing altogether. I though I was going to faint. The only saving grace was that if I did I would still be perfectly vertical because that train was so crowded there was no room to breathe, much less fall over.

Lunch was chicken with chocolate sauce. Dinner was grilled chicken from a grill bar. All delicious.

On the streets at about 8pm crowds of people gather to dance. Two drummers start up and large crowds come and do set formation dances. They have red headbands, bells on their ankles and they all know the steps. The dances are really complex. The explanation given to us is that they are practising for a big Aztec festival. The practise every night in the street and then at the festival they dance for two hours straight.

Finally I am getting tired. Mexico is high altitude and we walked all over town. But I don't want to stop. I am only sorry that we don't have a few months the spend here. The streets are busy and so far we have felt very safe.

No comments: