Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Splitting hairs


I had a really bad night's sleep and did not feel up to dealing with Hong Kong. I was starting to feel like I was stuck in an oversized version of Chadstone. So off to the Central Library. The reading lounge on the 5th floor is beautiful, couches, newspapers from all over the world, people reading and snoozing. It was just the ticket. After I began to feel less like I had been assaulted by the sensory information overload known as Hong Kong, I realised I did not have the energy to take myself on an excursion, and sitting still would be a sort of comotosed death that would only prolong the jetlag agony. So I did my very own "when in another country and you get a look of yourself in a mirror" trick, that I recommend to the brave: go and get a hair cut. It was lovely, they washed my hair before and afer they cut it, matched the color (almost) and did as good a job as I have done in Australia.

Feeling revived I wandered down a side street and found a small "wet market" (fruit veg, fish) and street stalls selling all kinds of stuff. It put me in a good mood because I was not in a mall. I angered one little cafe waiter by only ordering the greens with oyster sauce, then had an orange for dessert. Hong Kong had restored itself in my mind and heart and I set off for the airport.

No comments: