Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Not more germs

Sandy (from Oxford) has asked a good question. Because I am enjoying the role of talkback radio host (by podcast), I shall field all questions.

For the sake of those up the back, I will repeat the query.
She has heard that in Barcelona people are required to wear surgical gloves when they select fruit in shop. She wonders if this is true and what the possible reason may be.

Indeed, it is true and Debbie and I caused quite a kerfuffle by selecting fruit ungloved. I am sorry to repeat the reference, but the the world's most famous glove wearer (ABC, it's easy as one, two, three, as simple as doe rei me) seems to have had quite an effect all around the world. So, while the people of Spain are happy to eat an absolute bucket of bacteria in every bite in a bar, (snacks made from meat, fish and creamy dressings kept on sitting on unfrigerated and uncovered on the bench at the tapas bar) they harbour a mortal fear of the microbes that the previous fruit handler might have deposited on the apricots.

No comments: