Thursday, January 3, 2008

From one extreme to the other

Cancun is awful. Now, I knew that, I expected it, I had read all about it, but nothing on earth could have prepared me for how awful it is.

It is just an abomination. The only thing I can think of that is in anyway similar is the Gold Coast, but that does not capture it. Rich touristis, mainly Americans come here. Travelling from the airport to the hotel zone, you see nothing of Mexico, especially not the actual town of Cancun itself.

I will just describe our dinner. Tony had a bath and would not go out (probably a wise decision). I went out with the boys to Jimmy Buffet´s Margaritaville. I was seriously depressed and tried to convince them to leave. They argued that I had to see every horrible thing in the world, and this was an important thing to behold.

The place was all a glitter and service staff ran around attending to our every need, and needs that we did not even know that we had. The services we rejected included
1. a girl with a coconut shell bra who would pour tequila down the throat of anyone who asked while blowing her whistle
2. hats made out of balloons
3. the opportunity to get oversized sombreos and have our photo taken
4. Beer bought to the table by a waiter who delivered it balanced on his head
5. the conga line
6. the volcano alarm
7. The chance to yell and applaud in response to such questions as ¨Is anyone here from America?¨or better still ¨Does anyone here speak English?
8. the guacamole cart

The nachos was enough to feed two or three people. We were frowned upon because we did not drink up. I spent my time glaring at the world´s most horrible drunk woman who plonked her fat American backside in the lap of any male she could find (including Charles).

We just could not get out of Cancun fast enough. Perhaps Dante´s Inferno needs an addition, there really is another circle to hell. I can´t describe this place without biblical references to the end of the world.

No comments: