Sunday, December 21, 2008

Albergue Juvenil en San Servado





This has got to be the best thing yet! I am staying in a castle, a real live castle. With all the old trappings; giant carved wooden furniture, huge wooden shutters, works of art just sitting there on the walls, sweeping staircases with brass bits and pieces and lots and lots of velvet. I have never seen anything like it. It is a youth hostel, but for 3 euro more they let people over the 30 stay as well. That means the cost to say here is 13 euro (less than $35). It has two full sized soccer fields and a 25 metre swimming pool, sitting in the terraces. It is perched on the hill over looking the little own of Toledo which is an ancient town with mosques, synagogues and Christian churches, built by whoever was winning the war at the time in 1058! I was not even born yet. In the morning I will explore.

What´s more they have had the good sense to renovate and introduce all the mod cons. In fact it is immaculate. I have my own room with en-suite, two desks, heater, everything a gal could want. The lights come on automatically as you walk through the oversized corridors, which saves the bother of the servants having to light all those candles each time. There is an assortment of lounge rooms, dining rooms, TV rooms, bars, patios, terraces and more. To really give it ambience, the place seems deserted.

The chef is standing at the bar chatting to the waiter who serves the diner. The guy on the desk has this set expression on his face that he must have developed over a period of time from greeting the newly arrived guests who just can´t believe their luck. Right now I am having a moment where I wish someone I know was here with me to pinch me and tell me that it is real. I love Madrid, but had I known about this, I would have been here sooner. So do me a favour, all of you out there who are making a list of places to go and things to do, put this right at the very top. I will take photographs, I will upload when I get back to Oxford.

No comments: