Monday, December 29, 2008

Tate oh so modern

This relief was in the medieval section of the Science Museum.



Georgina and I are staying in a lovely flat in Notting Hill, or Notting Hill Gate, or somewhere related to Hugh Grant. This means that we get to trawl around London ticking things off the must see list. I went to the Science Museum and the ancient medicine section seemed really ghoulish til I remembered that I had just watched back to back episodes of House at Sandy and Benny's. I really liked an installation that randomly selected chat rooms and set the words to music and visual display.

Today was The Globe: so off we toddle, only to find that because it is an open air theatre and they do not stage anything in the colder months (read half the year). What a stupid idea a theatre with only a partially enclosed thatched roof was. I thought history had already proved that, but it seems the Brits needed to prove it again.

So we went next door to the next thing on the list where we were overwhelmed by modern art. Georgina was taken captive by a fantastic thing made of broken crockery and I was happy to see some Kandinsky paintings. We looked at London Bridge and climbed to the top of St Paul's where we looked back at The Globe and The Tate Modern. We tried to finish off with some West End action, but I draw the line at The Sound of Music, no matter how half price the tickets are. Instead we went to the movies and saw The Reader.

No comments: