Monday, December 15, 2008

Touchdown in Oxford



The flight
The trip was really pretty good. I lucked out and managed to get an aisle seat next to two people who did not want to climb over me to get to the toilet even once, they sat very still and kept entirely quiet. This left all the wriggling and getting up and down to me. We flew low over western China and Afghanistan when it was light. It was a most amazingly beautiful scene.

The money

So far I have spent
£25 on the bus from Heathrow to Oxford
£30 on a mobile
£2 on a coffee
£8 on a taxi
That is about $150
Exactly how it is that people manage to live here is one of the mysteries of the world. And don't go thinking that the wages must be high.

Benny and Sandy manage by both having good jobs, never, (really never ever) eating out, rarely buying take away, walking whereever possible, riding push bikes to work and the boys ride or walk to school including during the depths of winter, not eating meat very often, investing in a baby Gaggia so they can have coffee on a daily basis, buying the daily paper on campus where the usual price of £1 is subsidized so it only costs 30p.

I walked around Oxford a bit and saw an add for a job at £6 per hour which Sandy and Benny say is really good money for a waitress. I think I might apply.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Greta, we remembered you at the VATE Christmas drinks tonight, and now here you are blogging. It's awesome, going from seeming far away to seeming close again. Your post reminds me of when I was travelling in England in April this year and finding the same about the prices. You have fun and keep us all updated.
Jo